What is Car Detailing?
Detailing is not the same as a car wash — while a traditional car wash is a surface-level car cleaning, exterior and interior car detailing is generally a more thorough process that involves cleaning and reconditioning of the vehicle, including minor cosmetic touch-ups. While this process doesn’t involve body repairs or paintwork, it does entail things like getting rid of scratches or swirl marks on the body.
Ultimately, the goal of a full detail process is to get the car looking brand new, like the day it was driven off of the lot.
How to Detail a Car
The exact nature of what you’ll get from having your car detailed will vary depend on who’s doing it, but there’s always an interior and exterior component, and it will generally cover the following.
Interior Detailing Basics
- Carpet and upholstery is vacuumed and shampooed
- Leather upholstery is conditioned and scrubbed with the appropriate leather cleaner
- Plastics and vinyl are properly cleaned
- Interior glass is cleaned and polished
Exterior Detailing Basics
- Thorough exterior car wash
- Wheels, calipers, lug nuts, are all cleaned with special brushes and cleaning products
- Paint is washed and dried using specially made microfiber cloth towels
- A special clay bar is used to remove deeply ingrained dirt from the car’s paint
- Paint is polished to remove scratches, swirl marks, and oxidation
- Wax is applied to protect the paint
- Remaining exterior parts are cleaned and polished
One commonly overlooked step of the interior car detailing process is inspecting and cleaning the engine bay. While not immediately visible most of the time, it’s a good idea to have it done, if only to identify any potential problems as early as possible.
Car Detailing Prices
There’s no hard and fast rule for car detailing prices — ultimately, it will depend on the detailing package you choose and the size of your vehicle. To inquire about the cost of detailing around Katy and Spring, contact the John Eagle Acura service department.
Looking for Car Detailing Services? Come to John Eagle Acura!
Getting your car detailed regularly will keep it looking great, and that alone can increase its resale value when you decide it’s time for new vehicle. You can also learn more about your Acura service codes and what they mean. Whether you’re in Houston or coming from Sugarland, the team at John Eagle Acura is here to help with the full range of your auto needs! We are also here to provide local recommendations, such as the best places for brunch in Houston.